Letter of Recommendation (LOR)
Letter of Recommendation is a document on the institute’s/ company’s official letterhead required for applications to any degree, licensure or endorsement program which provides the following about the candidate to the admission officers:
- A comprehensive insight, clear and favourable picture of your experience, achievements, contributions.
- Skills communicated by the recommender through the letter of recommendation example.
The admissions committee is particularly interested in learning more about your intelligence, independence of thought, and overall commitment, character and fitness, information on your special interests, motivations and personal qualities which will distinguish you from other applicants.
You must always remember that the Admission Committee scurries through thousands of applications and yours is one of them. Now, in order to stand out, focus on including your qualities and accomplishments reinforced by real instances.
It should relate your suitability for study abroad beyond information that is available on college transcripts and/ or employment records. Usually, universities ask for two to three LORs which vary by program; please review admission information for the specific program to which you are applying for full details.
An ideal recommender is the one who knows you well, has personally witnessed the quality of work delivered by you and readily agreed to provide specific instances of your valued contribution and excellence.
Guidelines for Letters of Recommendation
Guidelines for Content
Letters of recommendation to any graduate program in the College of Education should be frank and detailed and should indicate how long and under what circumstances the recommender has known you (i.e., student, assistant, advisee, employee, etc.)
A recommendation is most helpful when it provides specific information concerning your intellectual and personal characteristics and performance; it should relate to your suitability for graduate study beyond information that is available on college transcripts and employment records.
While the admissions committee is particularly interested in learning more about your intelligence, independence of thought, and overall promise, character and fitness, information on your special interests, motivations and personal qualities may distinguish you from other applicants.
Types of LOR
1. Types of LOR
Academic LOR is provided by a faculty member of your previous school or college.
The format of LOR from faculty (Your school teachers in case of undergraduate courses and college professors in case you are applying for masters’ programs) often varies in the content and form and requires highlighting the applicant’s accomplishments as a student of the course.
2. Professional LOR
Most of the MBA Colleges Abroad demands a professional Letter of Recommendation format from a Supervisor as pre-defined work experience requirements from an immediate supervisor.
The professional LOR format from a Supervisor focuses on the applicant’s ability to work within a team, the exposure to the domain as well as his/her leadership abilities.
How to write a Recommendation Letter (LOR)
- LOR generally is a 400-500 words essay which talks about the candidate’s strengths and weaknesses.
- An important point to be kept in mind is that an LOR is not a repetition of an SOP.
- LOR should be frank, detailed, provides specific intellectual information, personal characteristics and performance and should indicate for how long and under what capacity (i.e., student, assistant, advisee, employee, etc.) the recommender knows you?
- An ideal LOR is supposed to demonstrate aspects/ perspectives of your personality not mentioned either in your SOP or resume.
- Endeavour to make all your LORs unique by including unique instances in all the LORs.
- Making an Impressive LOR is as important as writing a winning SOP.
- Just keep the formats in place and remember the common mistakes you should avoid in a recommendation letter.
- We will guide you on all the aspects of the LOR process.
- We will guide you about how the information to be used etc.
- We will review your LOR and guide you how to make it better.
- We will assist you with right format and language, if required.