What is TOEFL ?
TOEFL practice test is widely accepted English language test in the world and is conducted to assess the ability to use and understand English language of of non-native English speakers who want to study, work or settle abroad.
The official guide to the TOEFL test is most widely accepted and respected English language test in the world. It is recognized by more than 8,000 colleges, universities, and agencies in more than 130 countries. TOEFL is registered and administered by ETS (Educational Testing Service).
TOEFL is taken by students planning to study abroad as well as working professionals applying for Visa. Those seeking scholarships and certification programs are also required to take the TOEFL exam.
Eligibility criteria for TOEFL
Registration and Application Procedure
- Online: Candidates can fill a registration form 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on official website of College Board.
Examination fee can be paid online through credit/ debit card. Payment can also be made using a registration voucher obtained from a local TOEFL iBT Test Resource Centre.
- Phone: Candidates can apply through phone call. Registration form (PDF) has to be ready before making a call and examination fee can be paid online through credit/ debit card. Students can also pay the fee using TOEFL voucher by phone.
- Mail: Download and fill the form (PDF) available on the official website and send the form with the payment to the address on the form or to your Regional Registration Center (PDF). If you register by mail you will need to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. If you do not receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork at least three business days before your registration deadline.
Forms must be received at least 4 weeks before your test date.
- TOEFL iBT: Test Resource Center: In some areas, candidate can purchase test registration vouchers with local currency and/or register in person at a TOEFL iBT Test Resource Center. If that is not an option that you want to consider, you can use a registration voucher online from any computer or on the phone
- TOEFL Computer Based Test: US $180 (includes 1 examinee score record and 4 score recipients)
- TOEFL Paper Based Test: US $180 (includes 1 examinee score record and 4 score recipients)
- Registration closes 7 days before your test date.
- Late registration closes 4 days before your test date and has a late fee of US$40.
Types of Exam
There are two types of TOEFL exams.
- Internet Based testing (TOEFL iBT) This test is administered via internet. The total time for TOEFL iBT is approx. 3 hours divided among the following four sections of the exam.
- Reading: Measures the ability to understand academic reading. It consists of 3-5 academic reading passages followed by comprehension questions.
- Listening: Measures the ability to understand English as it is used in colleges and universities. It consists of 4-6 lectures, which include classroom dialogue and 2-3 conversations that include two or more speakers in each case.
- Speaking: Measures the ability to speak English. It consists of 6 open-ended speaking questions, which require test-takers to speak into a microphone. Responses are recorded and scored by human graders.
- Writing: Measures the ability to write in a way that is appropriate for college and university course work. The TOEFL iBT contains an added 20 minute essay.
The breakup of the marks (0-120) is a follows:
– Reading Section: ( Score of 0-30) – Listening Section: ( Score of 0-30)
– Speaking Section: ( Score of 0-30)
– Writing Section: ( Score of 0-30)
=Total Score: 0-120
For a better understanding lets understand what 0-30 means:
0-14 = low
15-21 = intermediate
22-30 = high
In addition to your scores, your score includes performance feedback that is a brief report on your performance level and a description of the kinds of tasks that test takers like you to perform.